Re: Wanted: references to compiler optimization techniques

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Wed, 16 Oct 1991 16:46:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted: references to compiler optimization techniques andy@dutecae.et.tudelft.nl (1991-10-16)
Re: Wanted: references to compiler optimization techniques preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 16:46:24 GMT

andy@dutecae.et.tudelft.nl (Andy Verberne) writes:

>... if somebody could send me a list, or reference to such a list,
>of all existing optimization techniques I would be very grateful.
        ^^^ ouch!

I usually look in 3 places

Proceedings of the SIGPLAN Compiler Construction Conference
(now called Conference on Programming Language Design and
Implementation, or PLDI). This is the primary conference
for scalar optimization (parallel people have spawned their own
set of conferences). The proceedings are published by the ACM
as an issue of SIGPLAN Notices, usually in June. Proceedings
exist for 1979, '82, '84, '86, and annually from 1988.

Proceedings of the Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(usually just called POPL). Annually from about 1973.
Some of the old proceedings can be ordered from ACM.
This one tends to be more theoretical, with lots of type
inference, doubles brackets, and so forth. Future meetings
promise to be more generally interesting. Recent years
have been important (to me, anyway) because of the work
on SSA.

Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS).
Published 4 times a year by ACM. This is the most significant
archival journal for optimization related stuff. Goes back to '79.

Also see Software -- Practice and Experience (in a library, the
subscription is outrageous), SIGPLAN Notices (variable content), and
Computer Language (the Pergammon Press journal).

In the future, we'll see LOPLAS (Letters on Programming Languages and
Systems), which is intended to be similar in content to TOPLAS, but with
shorter articles and much quicker publication time.

For theoretical foundations, see the Journal of the ACM (JACM).

Finally, there are often compiler and optimization papers spread amongst a
variety of conferences: Supercomputing, the Hawaii conferences, the SIAM
conferences, the IEEE conferences, and so forth.

Preston Briggs