DSP C Compiler Question???

"Vijaya Singh (Vij)" <singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu>
Tue, 1 Oct 1991 18:12:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DSP C Compiler Question??? singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu (Vijaya Singh (Vij)) (1991-10-01)
Re: DSP C Compiler Question??? pete@oakhill.sps.mot.com (1991-10-02)
Re: DSP C Compiler Question??? mcdowell@exlog.com (1991-10-03)
Re: DSP C Compiler Question??? megauthi@watcgl.waterloo.edu (1991-10-06)
DSP C Compiler: Survey singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu (Vijaya Singh (Vij)) (1991-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Vijaya Singh (Vij)" <singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1991 18:12:16 -0400

>From what I've been reading, they're a number of DSP C compilers in
existence, but they tend to generate "poor" code. Since I don't (yet!)
have access to any of these compilers, I'm curious as to how "poor" the
results are. That is, can these compilers take advantage of or
effectively utilize:

- "do" and "rep" type instructions
- "mac" type instructions
                - address and data register banks
                - "fft" and "mod" addressing modes
                - dual data memory banks

I would guess YES to the first two, MAYBE to the third, and NO to the last
two. Can anyone who use these kinds of compilers respond (and state which
compiler). Thanks very much!

BTW: Do these compilers typically only get used for generating control
structures, relying on hand-coded kernals to do the actual
number-crunching???

VIJ...
singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu
[The answer to the last question is often yes, but others will have to say
how DSP compilers lose performance. -John]