Re: GCC for DOS (FAQ list info)

AKayser@dnpap.et.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser)
Wed, 25 Sep 1991 10:11:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Where can I get the GNU C compiler for DOS ? bobz@truevision.com (1991-09-20)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: AKayser@dnpap.et.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1991 10:11:25 GMT

gvreugdenhil@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Gord Vreugdenhil) writes:
>You were asking for a pointer to a GCC implementation for DOS. Note that
>the following (and only one available as far as I know) is for 80386sx or
>better machines. The compiler generates true 32-bit code and comes with
>an extender. Unfortunately, this makes the current code incompatible with
>windows or most other products that use extended memory.
BUT:
It works with virtual memory (even vga memory can be paged) and
memory will be paged to disk if space is needed.
I tested this with a Scheme interpreter which allocated about
5 Megabyte of memory, while having only 4 Meg ram. It worked and
reasonably fast.

I'm sure this won't work this good under Windows or other extended
memory managers!!!

I only need one thing for now and that is a protected mode driver
for the 'packet drivers'. Then I can develop a distributed
object oriented system for 386 (and most other UNIX boxes) systems.

When TCP/IP is ported it can be a good platform to port a X server
to it.

Enough hype, try it!
--
-- Ir. Alfred Kayser. PACS, OS/2, TCP/IP. --- Email: AKayser@et.tudelft.nl --