Re: PQCC ref

clc5q@hemlock.cs.Virginia.EDU
Thu, 12 Sep 91 09:29:32 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
PQCC ref budd@fog.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) (1991-09-11)
Re: PQCC ref preston@dawn.rice.edu (1991-09-12)
Re: PQCC ref clc5q@hemlock.cs.Virginia.EDU (1991-09-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: clc5q@hemlock.cs.Virginia.EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 91 09:29:32 EDT

In article 91-09-029 budd@fog.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) writes:
>The other day I needed to reference the old CMU PQCC project.
>What is the ``classic'' reference that overviews the entire project?
>(couldn't find anything in the bibliographics of either aho or fischer).

Leverett, B.W., R.G.G. Cattell, S.O. Hobbs, J.M. Newcomer, A.H. Reiner,
B.R. Schatz, and W.A. Wulf: "An Overview of the Production Quality
Compiler-Compiler Projects," IEEE Computer, Vol. 13, No. 8,
August 1980, pp. 38-49.

This is derived from the CMU Technical Report CMU-CS-79-105, published by
the same authors, with the same title, in 1979. I found the reference in
the final chapter of the Tremblay and Sorenson text, "The Theory and Practice
of Compiler Writing," the final chapter of which is a good exposition of
compiler-compiler projects. See pp. 743ff.

Also, once I had the reference, I noticed that it IS in the Dragon book
bibliography, page 769 of the 1986 edition, and presumably in the same
place in the 1988 printing (which I don't have, unfortunately.) If you
scanned for "PQCC" you wouldn't see it, however, as the abbreviation is
expanded in the reference title. It isn't in the Fischer text.
--
||| clc5q@virginia.edu (Clark L. Coleman)
[Art Duncan <duncan@crd.ge.com> and David Lamb <dalamb@avi.umiacs.umd.edu>
also sent in this reference. Thanks. -John]