language design references wanted

grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (Johannes Grosen)
Wed, 21 Aug 1991 15:09:32 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-21)
Re: language design references wanted acha@CS.CMU.EDU (1991-08-22)
Re: language design references wanted tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted murphy@mips.com (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted preston@helena.rice.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (1991-08-30)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (Johannes Grosen)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1991 15:09:32 CDT

I'm a second year grad student (CS) and preparing to tackle (gasp!) my
thesis. A number of possible topics have been suggested, many of which
involve implementing new languages or extending/modifying existing ones. My
question is this: there seems to be a great deal of literature on compiler
design (i.e., implementing translators for a language) but very little on
designing the language! Various people, including our moderator, Mr. Levine,
have called it a 'black art'. Well, I'd like to be a 'sorcerer's
apprentice'! I would very much appreciate hearing of any references that
deal with how one goes about designing a language. If there are enough

Thank you!