Re: Validation Suite Report

John R. Levine <johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>
Tue, 2 Jul 91 11:48:10 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Validation Suite Report dg-rtp!bert!wood@uunet.uu.net (1988-08-26)
Re: Validation Suite Report linus!mbunix!eachus@harvard.edu (1988-08-30)
Validation Suite Report dg-rtp!bert!wood@uunet.uu.net (1991-06-13)
Re: Validation Suite Report johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (1991-07-02)
Re: Validation Suite Report moss@cs.umass.edu (1991-07-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: John R. Levine <johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 91 11:48:10 EDT

[Last month I asked for an update to my validation suite list. Here's what
I got. -John]

-------------------------

Subject: Re: Validation Suite Report

John Levine (the moderator) writes:
>[Questions on validation suites arrive all the time. This message from
>August 1988 is the most complete report on validation suites that I have
>seen. ... Additions and corrections are welcome.

There is a test suite included with the lcc 1.6 front-end distribution.
Via anonymous ftp from `princeton.edu' in `.../pub/lcc/lccfe-1.6.tar.Z'
(the 1.6 may change as the version number changes).

FYI: lcc is an ANSI C compiler front end. It comes with a naive VAX
code generator and others are available via license. Included
documentation describes the front end and the naive code generator in
more detail.

;-D on ( Sweet validation ) Pardo

-------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 21:37:20 -0400
Subject: validation suites

A Scheme validation suite is available via anonymous ftp from
nexus.yorku.ca:pub/scheme/scm/test.scm. It tests compliance to the
IEEE and R^3.99RS standards, and was written by Aubrey Jaffer,
jaffer@ai.mit.edu.

david carlton
carlton@husc.harvard.edu

-------------------------

Subject: Re: Re: Validation Suite Report
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 19:10:37 EST

In article 91-06-014 dg-rtp!bert!wood@uunet.uu.net (Tom Wood) writes:
> The Federal Govt validation suites for Fortran and Cobol are not
> available to the general public. The last time I heard, a single
> test run cost a vendor about $15K, making it useless for those of
> us who develop language-processing tools. Even the reports of the
> tests may be of little use to users; I'm told they consist mainly
> of pass/fail tables.

They should be available to anyone who says they want to test or
certify a compiler, for a media fee, around $500.00, although it is 4
years since I worked in this area. The UK source below is cheaper and
easier for both the test suite and validation runs. The Cobol tests
consist of pass/fail tables annotated by a reference to the relevant
section of the ANSI standard. The annotations were somewhat inaccurate
when I last looked.

                  Assessment Department Phone: 0442 3111
                  British Standards Institution Telex: 82424
                  Maylands Avenue
                  Hemel Hempstead, Herts
                  HP2 4SQ

The following addresses:

                  US Department of Commerce
                  National Technical Information Service
                  Springfield, VA
and
                  Federal Software Management Support Center
                  General Services Administration
                  Two Skyline Place, Suite 1100
                  5203 Leesburg Pike
                  Falls Church, VA 22041

are both out of date. The US source for all compiler certification
tests under Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) is now the
National Bureau of Standards or the British Standards Institution
(above). They recognize each other's test procedures, too.
--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz