LR(1) vs. LALR(1)

georgev@fiu.edu (Vincent George)
Mon, 1 Jul 91 22:27:37 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR(1) vs. LALR(1) georgev@fiu.edu (1991-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: georgev@fiu.edu (Vincent George)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 91 22:27:37 EDT

I am interested in any empirical evidence of the difference between LR(1)
vs. LALR(1) machines for complete grammars written for "real" programming
languages.

Specifically, any studies which could provide data to support the answer to
the following two questions:

      Given a grammar,

      1. How many states in the LR(1) machine vs. the LALR(1)?
      2. What's the maximum number of LR(1) states which are merged into
            any single LALR(1) state?

Most of the literature I have come across give estimates like: the LR(1)
machine is twice the size of the LALR(1) machine, or, the ratio of LR(1)
configurations to LR(0) configurations is equal to the size of the token
set...

In addition to the forum, please direct any information and/or comments to:

georgev@fiu.edu

Thanks in advance. Vince.
--
Vincent A. George