Re: SPARC code generation references

preston@ariel.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Tue, 28 May 91 14:27:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SPARC code generation references ressler@cs.cornell.edu (1991-05-24)
Re: SPARC code generation references torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (1991-05-26)
Re: SPARC code generation references preston@ariel.rice.edu (1991-05-28)
Re: SPARC code generation references pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1991-05-28)
Re: SPARC code generation references array!colin (1991-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@ariel.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:27:44 GMT

>Oddly enough, a day or two before this appeared I was talking to John Gilmore
>and Sean Fagan about this very issue.
> Move save and restore instructions `inward', renumbering
> registers, until they `bump into' call instructions or until
> the registers do not fit in the free %o set. (Then move the
>This technique might be called `leaf crushing' (I wanted to call it `leaf
>burning' but that was a bit too much of a stretch :-) ).

Nevertheless, it's already been done as part of the MIPS compiler.
It's called "shrink wrapping" and is described in Chow's 1988 paper

Minimizing Register Usage at Procedure Calls
by Fred Chow
in Proceedings of the Sigplan 88 Conference on Programming
Language Design and Implementation
pages 85-94
published as Siplan Notices, Volume 23, Number 7
July 1988

See section 5, "Shrink-wrapping Callee-saved Registers".

Preston Briggs