Re: Compilers for parallel computing

metzger@convex.com (Robert Metzger)
Thu, 23 May 1991 14:57:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers for parallel computing julia@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Julia Dain) (1991-05-22)
Re: Compilers for parallel computing metzger@convex.com (1991-05-23)
Re: Compilers for parallel computing ds@juniper.cray.com (1991-05-23)
Re: Compilers for parallel computing cmb@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk (Colin Brough) (1991-05-23)
Re: Compilers for parallel computing lins@Apple.COM (1991-05-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: metzger@convex.com (Robert Metzger)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1991 14:57:02 GMT

In article 91-05-095 Julia Dain <julia@cs.warwick.ac.uk> writes:
>Help please - can anyone recommend a good textbook on compilers for parallel
>computing.
>
>Gelernter and Nicolau: Languages and compilers for parallel computing
>(Pitman)
>
>Polychronopoulos: Parallel programming and compilers (Kluwer Academic)
>
>Wolfe: Optimizing supercompilers for supercomputers (Pitman)
>
>Zima and Chapman: Supercompilers for parallel and vector computers (Addison
>Wesley)

I recommend Zima/Chapman and Wolfe to new engineers in our department
(compiler development at CONVEX Computer Corp.) who wish to learn more about
vectorization and parallelization. I would not recommend the other two books
for this purpose, though they contain much useful material.

Wolfe and Polychronopoulos are updated versions of doctoral dissertations.
Gelernter and Nicolau is a collection of papers, essentially a conference
proceedings.

Zima/Chapman contents (376 pages)

Supercomputers and Supercompilers
Supercomputer Architecture