Re: Intros to scavenging GC

ncjuul@diku.dk (Niels Christian Juul)
Wed, 1 May 91 09:30:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intros to scavenging GC gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (1991-04-29)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC moss@cs.umass.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC ncjuul@diku.dk (1991-05-01)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC daniel@terra.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (1991-05-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ncjuul@diku.dk (Niels Christian Juul)
Date: Wed, 1 May 91 09:30:26 GMT

gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (Brian R. Gilstrap) writes:
>So, I am hoping to get references to introductory articles on garbage
>collection...
To which our moderator has added:
>[Daniel Ross Edelson (daniel@cis.ucsc.edu) wrote a long paper, probably his
>thesis, on the topic of garbage collected C++. A postscript version can be
>FTPed from midgard.cs.edu:~ftp/pub/tr/ucsc-crl-91-19.ps.Z. It's fairly long,
>106 pages including all the source code. -John]

I want to add a few clarifications:
The ftp site is: midgard.ucsc.edu
The file is: /pub/tr/ucus-crl-90-19.ps.Z
or (without the code): /pub/tr/ucus-crl-90-19-nocode.ps.Z

So it's from 1990.

If you need more information on garbage collection, esp. as seen from
the object-oriented camp, I've collected a set of position papers from
last years Workshop on Garbage Collection in Object Oriented Systems.

These (including a short report on the workshop) is available for ftp from:
ftp.diku.dk: in /pub/GC90/*

(The site name is a nickname for host freja.diku.dk, our old beloved VAX 785,
which is not operational this week, so you have to wait a week or more.
If you can't get access after mid-May, mail me and I'll try a work-around.)

The papers were available earlier this year at midgard, but I think
they are removed now.

Niels-Christian
--
Niels Christian Juul Email: ncjuul@diku.dk
DIKU (aka Dept.Comp.Sci. Univ.Copenhagen) Phone: +45 31 39 64 66 ext. 405