Re: Intros to scavenging GC

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
30 Apr 91 12:39:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intros to scavenging GC gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (1991-04-29)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC moss@cs.umass.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC ncjuul@diku.dk (1991-05-01)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC daniel@terra.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (1991-05-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Date: 30 Apr 91 12:39:07 GMT

Dan Edelson's thesis does not discuss scavenging style GC, though it is a
copying scheme if I recall correctly. The original scavenging article was
by David Ungar in the Proceedings of the ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN Software
Engineering Symposium on Practical Software Development Environments. The
Wilson and Moher article in OOPSLA 89, which gives a lot of background on
gc techniques. Note that in order to do scavenging you have to do store
checks and manage remembered sets, which incurs overhead on every pointers
store (at least stores of pointers to instances of the classes you
scavenge). Note also that we are working on quality compiler support for
scavenging in the GNU Modula-3 effort of my research group at UMass.
--
J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
Lederle Graduate Research Center