Re: MS-DOS EXE-to-C Decompiler testers wanted

carter@cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter)
Thu, 25 Apr 91 18:39:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MS-DOS EXE-to-C Decompiler testers wanted guthery@acw.com (1991-04-23)
Re: MS-DOS EXE-to-C Decompiler testers wanted carter@cs.wisc.edu (1991-04-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c
From: carter@cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 18:39:46 GMT

I had a decompiler for my old machine made by Microsoft, (don't ask how I
got it please), it seemed NICE for small programs but for larger programs
I would like to make a suggestion(s):

1) Tag the machine program input in such a way so that one can see what
      parts of the C source are related to what, and how.
      (Machine registers, memory models, code blocks relevant to source out)

2) Make it reverse engineered compatible with code view...now thats a
      challenge...so that you can watch that source and machine code side
      by side. (It must run both ways and yield EXACTLY the same machine code)

3) Document source code block pertaining to relevant system calls...
      (Interupt IRQ calls (maybe even the level code?), bios, etc.)

4) try not to drink too much Jolt while trying to do this...OK?

5) Of course, try like hell not to get sued from releasing such a product
      by everyone who applies in C. (I know if you use that thing on my
      system software I would sue you till you thought you were a TYME machine
      out of control)

When you get it done, make me a beta tester!

Greg Carter
Digital Communications Research/Engineering
2726 West Point Road
Green Bay, WI 54304