Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Tue, 2 Apr 91 19:21:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code eliot@.cs.qmw.ac.uk (Eliot Miranda) (1991-03-28)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code Tom.Lane@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (1991-04-01)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code metzger@watson.ibm.com (1991-04-02)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code pardo@cs.washington.edu (1991-04-02)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code vestal@SRC.Honeywell.COM (1991-04-03)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code firth@sei.cmu.edu (1991-04-04)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code pardo@cs.washington.edu (1991-04-04)
Re: Portable Fast Direct Threaded Code bpendlet@bambam.es.com (1991-04-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 19:21:25 GMT

metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) writes:
>[I'd like a reference on threaded code interpreters.]

3 citations follow:

%A James R. Bell
%T Threaded Code
%J Communications of the ACM (CACM)
%V 16
%N 2
%D June 1973
%P 370-372
%X Describes the basic idea of threaded code.
Compares to hard code (subroutine calls) and interpreters.

%A Richard H. Eckhouse Jr.
%A L. Robert Morris
%T Minicomputer Systems Organization, Programming, and Applications
(PDP-11). 2nd Ed.
%I Prentice-Hall, Inc.
%P 290-298
%X Describes threaded code and ``knotted code''. I (pardo) think that
this is a very clear introduction to threaded code.

%A Peter M. Kogge
%T An Architectural Trail to Threaded Code Systems
%J IEEE Computer
%P 22-33
%D March 1982
%W rrh (original)
%W Pardo (copy)
%X Describes how to build a threaded code interpeter/compiler from
scratch.
  * Direct threaded/indirect threaded.
  * Less than 2:1 performance hit of threading compared to full
compilation.
  * Note about bad compilers contributing to relative OK-ness of
threaded code.
  * Ease of rewriting stuff.
  * Ease of tuning.

My favorite of the three is Eckhouse & Morris; however I don't know
where to get it. The pages that I have are photocopies graciously
sent to me by a friend. As the title implies, this book is several
years old and undoubtedly out-of-print.

;-D on ( Following this thread of the discussion... ) Pardo