page-conscious compilers

chiueh@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Tzi-cker Chiueh)
Fri, 8 Feb 91 20:38:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
page-conscious compilers chiueh@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (1991-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chiueh@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Tzi-cker Chiueh)
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 20:38:51 GMT

Hi,

This is a question that had puzzled me for a long time. The question is that
in a static language (like FORTRAN), it is possible for a compiler to figure
out the page that each reference falls at compile time. If it isn't, what are
the impossible cases ? Also let's rule out the situation that inputs may
affect the reference behavior, such as R[I]=R[J]+1, where I and J are given
as inputs.

Thanks.

tzi-cker chiueh
[This sort of question arises in parallel compilers all the time, usually
in the context of deciding whether two array references could be to the
same place. The Multiflow Trace compilers had an even more similar issue,
because there were rules about making multiple references to the same
memory bank in one cycle. I gather that one does a lot of theorem
proving. -John]