Re: Squashing C Source

H T Fallside <htf@castle.ed.ac.uk>
17 Dec 90 15:51:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Squashing C Source htf@sari.edinburgh.ac.uk (H T Fallside) (1990-12-05)
Re: Squashing C Source markhall@pyrps5.pyramid.com (1990-12-11)
Re: Squashing C Source megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (1990-12-14)
Re: Squashing C Source pardo@cs.washington.edu (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source htf@castle.ed.ac.uk (H T Fallside) (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source leland@cs.columbia.edu (Lee Woodbury) (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source Olivier.Levillain@cl.bull.fr (1990-12-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: H T Fallside <htf@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 17 Dec 90 15:51:22 GMT

In article <14662@goofy.megatest.UUCP> megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Jones) writes:
First thanks to those people writing to tell me about Jack Davidson's
and Ann Holler's inliner (see 1254) which sounds like being
just the thing I need.

>Now then, please tell us why in the world you would want to make an entire
>program into one procedure.

I'm looking at doing some silicon compilation on dsp algorithms written
in C. It's much easier to analyse the allocation requirements, loop
nesting depth and any parallelism when the code is non-procedural. I'm not
concerned at this stage about size or speed issues on host machines
just whether the code remains compilable after i've been playing around
with it :-)

>I will leave you with one last word: "recursion".

I was under the impression that any recursive procedure could be
exchanged for an iterative one (and vice versa) am i wrong ?
thanks again

hamish
htf@uk.ac.ed.castle
[It's true, recursion and iteration are equivalent, but the translation can
be ugly, particularly in the presence of things like indirect recursion via
function pointers. -John]