Re: Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques?

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)
28 Nov 90 21:58:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques? baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) (1990-11-28)
Re: Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques? turpin@cs.utexas.edu (1990-11-28)
Re: Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques? norvell@csri.toronto.edu (1990-11-28)
Re: Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques? victor@vivaldi.csc.ti.com (1990-11-29)
Re: Cost/Benefit of compiler optimization techniques? preston@ariel.rice.edu (1990-11-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.software-eng
From: turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)
Date: 28 Nov 90 21:58:11 GMT

In article <9011280511.aa16546@ICS.UCI.EDU> Ira Baxter <baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU> writes:
> I am interested in finding out the "most useful" optimizations
> (at both levels) for conventional procedural languages (FORTRAN,
> C, etc.), by comparing average quantitative payoffs which rank
> them ... to some measure of the average effort
> to implement that optimization ...

I think that you will find that such studies are almost always
focused on an application area and a particular kind of
architecture. For example, I have seen several papers on the
effectiveness of various kind of automatic vectorization
techniques when applied to fluid flow (or FEA or ...) programs on
the Cray. It is not clear what information would be useful
unless the application area and target architecture are somehow
constrained.

Russell