Re: Writing cross-assembler

mauney@eos.ncsu.edu (Dr. Jon Mauney)
Fri, 16 Nov 90 14:04:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing cross-assembler hamdyz@prism.cs.orst.edu (1990-11-14)
Re: Writing cross-assembler mauney@eos.ncsu.edu (1990-11-16)
Re: Writing cross-assembler OS360051@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (1990-11-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mauney@eos.ncsu.edu (Dr. Jon Mauney)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 14:04:26 GMT

In article <21757@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, hamdyz@prism.cs.orst.edu (Zikif Hamdy)
writes:
|>I am looking for a good book on how to write an assembler.

Peter Calingaert's "Program Translation Fundamentals" Computer Science Press,
1988 has a chapter on assemblers. ( it is also one of the few works I know
of that discusses the tabu subject of linking and loading)

|>[An assembler is just a simple-minded compiler. The issues are largely the
|>same. -John]

Although this is true in part, an assembler has to deal with some source-
language constructs that are, thankfully, omitted in higher-level languages.
[I suppose that assemblers also have to deal head-on with issues like
assignment of binary memory addresses that many compilers punt to the
assembler. -John]