time to write a compiler

roman@gaudi.ccsf.caltech.edu (Roman Salvador)
Wed, 31 Oct 90 18:06:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
time to write a compiler roman@gaudi.ccsf.caltech.edu (1990-10-31)
time to write a compiler meissner@osf.org (1990-11-05)
Re: time to write a compiler holliday@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (1990-11-06)
Re: time to write a compiler marcel@vlsi.cs.caltech.edu (1990-11-06)
Re: time to write a compiler ge@sci.kun.nl (1990-11-07)
Re: time to write a compiler bright@nazgul.UUCP (1990-11-08)
Re: time to write a compiler pohua@polaris.crhc.uiuc.edu (1990-11-09)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.fortran
From: roman@gaudi.ccsf.caltech.edu (Roman Salvador)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 18:06:32 GMT

      I would like to find out the time it takes (more or less) to write a
compiler (i.e. a Fortran 90 one). Does anybody have any statistics or
experiences?. And also, about the time for the different parts of it (i.e.
lexical analysis, parsing, error checking, code generation, debugging +
testing).
      Thanks,
                                Roman (internet: roman@gaudi.caltech.edu)
[It took me about a year part-time to write an F77 compiler based on the old
Ritchie PDP-11 C compiler, but with no significant optimization beyond that
needed to compile i=i+1 into one instruction. I suspect F90 would be
considerably harder. By far the most work was the I/O system and all the
nit picking to catch all the special cases I forgot. -John]