Re: garbage collection --- any books?

jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson)
30 Oct 90 16:26:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
garbage collection --- any books? labc-4fe@WEB.Berkeley.EDU (1990-10-27)
Re: garbage collection --- any books? jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (1990-10-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson)
Date: 30 Oct 90 16:26:07 GMT

In article <9010280415.AA06678@weaver.berkeley.edu>, labc-4fe@WEB.Berkeley.EDU
(Choon Piaw Na) writes:
|>I'd like to read up on garbage collection. (Especially *recent* algorithms)
|>Are there any books (or conference proceedings) out there on garbage
|>collection?

Someone's not doing their homework again. Have you actually tried looking? I
completed my master's thesis in 1989 on the subject of garbage collection, and
had no problem locating articles. I suggest you spend a few hours in your
library.

So that this doesn't turn into a content-free posting, I'll identify two very
recent events:

1. The joint OOPSLA/ECOOP '90 Conference had a workshop on garbage
collection, where position papers were presented on various aspects of the
problem. The organizers of the workshop were Eric Jul and Niels Christian
Juul from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen,
Denmark. I don't know if they are making copies of position papers available,
but you might ask: eric@diku.dk or ncjuul@diku.dk.

2. The conference proceedings from OOPSLA/ECOOP '90 contains the following
paper:

Kafura, Dennis, Doug Washabaugh, and Jeff Nelson, "Garbage Collection of
Actors." OOPSLA/ECOOP '90 Proceedings, October, 1990. pp. 126-134.

The proceedings are also published under the title "SIGPLAN Notices," Volume
25, Number 10, October, 1990. Addison-Wesley ISBN: A-W ISBN 0-0201-52430-X.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet: jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com