Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements

worley@compass.com (Dale Worley)
Tue, 23 Oct 90 15:04:47 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements hankd@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (1990-10-16)
Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements preston@titan.rice.edu (1990-10-16)
Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements anders@dit.lth.se (1990-10-17)
Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (1990-10-17)
Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements hankd@ecn.purdue.edu (1990-10-18)
Re: Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements jourdan@minos.inria.fr (1990-10-19)
Compilers taking advantage of architectural enhancements worley@compass.com (1990-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: worley@compass.com (Dale Worley)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 15:04:47 EDT

      Ah, a potentially interesting and useful topic. Perhaps we can start
      a discussion that will lead to a list of possible hardware
      architectural enhancements that a compiler can/cannot take advantage
      of?

Part of the trouble with this idea is that "what hardware can be taken
advantage of" changes over time. For instance, I believe that the Cray-1 was
out for a number of years before people had developed good vectorizing
compilers -- since vector hardware hadn't existed, there was no incentive to
figure out how to build a compiler that took advantage of it! This leads to
a chicken-and-egg problem -- the compiler doesn't exist because no hardware
needs it, and vice-versa. The correct solution was mentioned by somebody --
develop both in parallel and tune the combination of the two for best price &
performance. Of course, it means you have to fund both a hardware effort and
a software effort!

Dale Worley Compass, Inc. worley@compass.com