TI 99/4 speed (was Re: Register Allocation and Aliasing)

msnyder@cis.ohio-state.edu (Michael V Snyder)
Tue, 24 Jul 90 23:45:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
TI 99/4 speed (was Re: Register Allocation and Aliasing) msnyder@cis.ohio-state.edu (1990-07-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: msnyder@cis.ohio-state.edu (Michael V Snyder)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 23:45:11 GMT

In article <1990Jul14.224533.14161@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> torbenm@diku.dk (Torben [gidius Mogensen) writes:
>(Some people may remember the TI 99/4 home computer, which used a 99000
>processor. It was notoriously slow, but this was (I have heard) mainly due
>to bad programming and system design).
>
> Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)

Ah yes. The TI 99/4 was slow only in BASIC, and that was because its
basic interpreter was written not in assembler, not in some high level
compiled language, but in ANOTHER INTERPRETED LANGUAGE! There was,
of course, no way to escape from the BASIC shell and bootstrap
yourself into some kind of assembler or compiler without buying extra
hardware, since the BASIC lacked any kind of peek or poke instruction.