Eiffel and Efficiency Issues

graham@maths.su.oz.au (Graham Matthews)
Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:12:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Eiffel and Efficiency Issues graham@maths.su.oz.au (1990-06-07)
Re: Eiffel and Efficiency Issues burtonl@cognos.uucp (1990-06-14)
Re: Eiffel and Efficiency Issues jimp@cognos.uucp (1990-06-20)
Re: Eiffel and Efficiency Issues eiffel@eiffel.com (1990-07-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.eiffel
From: graham@maths.su.oz.au (Graham Matthews)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:12:45 GMT

In the Eiffel reference manual there are claims that Eiffel code (ie: C code
generated by Eiffel) executes 20-25% (I think these figures are right?)
slower than native C code.

Can anyone tell me why this is? Is it just poor quality C code produced from
the front end that is the cause of the problem?

graham
[My impression is that it is partly due to the time spend looking up methods
and partly due to making things garbage collectable. Someone who is more
familiar with the innards of Eiffel will, I hope, comment. -John]