Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald)
Wed, 6 Jun 90 14:57:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler jensting@diku.dk (1990-06-01)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler scott@cs.rochester.edu (1990-06-05)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (1990-06-06)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler moss@cs.umass.edu (1990-06-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 14:57:11 GMT

JT> Does anyone have any experience with/information about the
JT> "portable optimising compiler for Modula-2" described in an article
JT> by Michael L. Powell in SIGPLAN Notices 19:6 (the compiler/article
JT> refered to in the Dragon book) ?

Whilest employeed at DEC-ERL one summer, Bill Bush & I beat (slightly) on this
compiler. I translated the internal tree representation into common lisp
lists, from which we were doing dataflow analysis for automatic
parallelization.

>From my remembering, it was a very clean compiler internally (thank goodness),
much cleaner than e.g., Berkeley 'pc' & you could even understand the
optimization strategies. Amazing. Various small benchmarks showed that the
compiler did perform very well on VAXen.

Sadly, it all came to naught as DEC blew ERL out of the water that summer. You
can get a Modula-3 to C translator from gatekeeper.dec.com. Don't know if
it's the same structure, though.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder (grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)
(grunwald@boulder.colorado.edu)