"Probabilistic" optimizations

gateley@m2.ti.com (John Gateley)
27 Feb 90 16:11:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"Probabilistic" optimizations gateley@m2.ti.com (1990-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gateley@m2.ti.com (John Gateley)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Feb 90 16:11:02 GMT

I am looking for references on compiler optimizations based on
the frequency of IF/CASE branches. Please email and I will post a summary.

Thanks,

John
gateley@m2.csc.ti.com
[The original Fortran compiler had a FREQUENCY statement that let you
tell it the relative likelihood that each of the three branches of an IF
would be taken or the typical number of times that a DO loop would run. It
turned out to be so useless that it disappeared by the time they came up
with Fortran II. I haven't looked for more recent references, -John]