Re: Register Allocation

wendyt@cs.washington.edu (Wendy Thrash)
26 Feb 90 06:54:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Register allocation c3riechers@adelphia.com (Chuck Riechers) (2005-05-21)
register allocation camille@bluegrass.net (David Lindauer) (2005-11-12)
register allocation dgb@cs.washington.edu (1989-11-22)
Re: register allocation larus@primost.wisc.EDU (1989-11-24)
Register Allocation napi@rangkom.MY (1990-02-17)
Re: Register Allocation cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (1990-02-15)
Re: Register Allocation wendyt@cs.washington.edu (1990-02-26)
Re: Register Allocation Moss@cs.umass.edu (1990-02-25)
Re: Register Allocation dds@cc.ic.ac.uk (1990-02-27)
Register Allocation nandu@jupiter.cs.clemson.edu (1993-03-31)
Register Allocation rajiv@polya.ece.wisc.edu (1993-08-31)
Re: Register Allocation preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-09-06)
Register Allocation ashish@usl.edu (Ashish Ashtekar) (1996-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: wendyt@cs.washington.edu (Wendy Thrash)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Feb 90 06:54:23 GMT

>[The PDP-10/DEC-20 has addressable registers as well, but as pointed out
>elsewhere that's only a small part of the problem. As soon as you call
>another routine, it's liable to save the register and put something else
>there, and you lose. -John]

The Pyramid architecture (Pyramid Technology) combines addressable registers
(which take a bit of work to address, but not _too_ much) with register
windows. As long as variables that have had their addresses taken are
assigned to parameter registers or local registers, but not temporary
registers, their registers are not accessible to called routines. (More
precisely, they cannot be accessed in any quasi-legitimate way by a
subroutine, and certainly will not be accessed by the compilers.)

I believe their architecture solves the problems discussed here, but I've been
told that the hardware cost to make this register addressing work is
significant. (or perhaps it was "enormous")

Disclaimer: Perhaps I should say "our" architecture, since I may technically
still be an employee of Pyramid Technology, on leave. Maybe my old boss will
see this and let me know whether I still "work" there. :-)