Re: Graph reduction, recursion and the Y combinator

Pieter Hartel <phh%ecs.southampton.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Thu, 28 Sep 89 10:55:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Graph reduction, recursion and the Y combinator phh%ecs.southampton.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (Pieter Hartel) (1989-09-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 10:55:00 GMT
From: Pieter Hartel <phh%ecs.southampton.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>

In the paper Statistics on graph reduction of SASL programs (Software
Practice and Experience vol 18 no 3, 1988, pp 239-253) we report on
experiments with the cyclic and the non cyclic implementation of the Y
combinator. We found that if some program transformations are applied,
even with non-cyclic Y, the performance may be reasonable (a difference
of some 10% between cyclic and non cyclic Y). Some more information is
in chapter 4 of my PhD thesis (Performance analysis of Storage
Management in Combinator graph reduction, 1988). All our results pertain
to Tuner's method of combinator graph reduction and a benchmark of small
and medium size programs.

Pieter Hartel, Dept of Electr. and Comp. Sci, Univ. of Southampton, SO9 5HN, UK.