C Compiler Metrics

Steve Lehto <stevel@qtc.uucp>
25 Sep 89 22:45:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Compiler Metrics stevel@qtc.uucp (Steve Lehto) (1989-09-25)
Re: C Compiler Metrics shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (1989-09-28)
Re: C Compiler Metrics jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (1989-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steve Lehto <stevel@qtc.uucp>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 89 22:45:19 GMT

As part of an internal project here; I am investigating the importance
of compiler speeds. Specifically, how fast must a compiler compile in
order to be useful? Is there a "limit of pain", below which the tool is
considered to be unuseable? We're most interested in C compilers, but
data about any compiler would be useful. I would like to collect the

Language Compiler Target Host Speed (lines/min)

If responses are plentiful and meaningful, I'ld be happy to repost the
results for all to use.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

steve lehto, QTC
[From Steve Lehto <stevel@qtc.uucp>]