Re: Encripted source as an ANDF

jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden)
Wed, 24 May 89 16:12:12 PDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF rf@mcc.comg (1989-05-20)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF albaugh@dms.UUCP (1989-05-23)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1989-05-24)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF harvard!cs.utah.edu!esunix!bpendlet (1989-05-24)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (1989-05-24)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF bpendlet@esunix.uucp (1989-05-24)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF rfg@mcc.com (1989-05-27)
Re: encripted source as an ANDF rfg@mcc.com (1989-05-27)
Re: Encripted source as an ANDF kbierman@sun.com (1989-05-30)
Re: encripted source as an ANDF henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1989-05-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 16:12:12 PDT
From: jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden)

In article <3963@ima.ima.isc.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>PROBLEM: what to do about things like putc(), which are macros

I was going to post this objection. Since Mr. Spencer beat me to it, I will
offer a solution (so someone else can tear *it* apart).

1) Write a preprocessor which, in addition to obfuscating,
replaces #include<foo.h> with some goop that cpp will leave alone but will
indicate the name (e.g. extern int _foo_h();)

2) Run the result through cpp.

3) Write a post processor which replaces the goop with the original #include

4) Ship product to customers.
One of the earlier poster mentioned transforming the source by changing
control structures into gotos. This might work but I would guess that some
optimizing compilers might lobotomize themselves temporarily when they find
code with gotos in it (perhaps because it's not worth the effort to optimize
code with little-used language features, especially when they have all sorts
of hairy implications.) [Direct "goto" flames to /dev/tty. Amuse yourself.]
--
"It has been discovered that C++ provides a remarkable facility for concealing
the trivial details of a program - such as where its bugs are."