How can I test a parser?

najmi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Farrukh Najmi)
7 Mar 89 18:28:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How can I test a parser? najmi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (1989-03-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: najmi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Farrukh Najmi)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Mar 89 18:28:39 GMT

Hello. Would someone please help me out. I would like to find a clever way to
help me test my yacc generated parser. What I am looking for is some way that
I can find out which states were never entered during parsing of my test input
data. This will allow me to add statements that are at least syntactically
correct to the test data to exercise the previously unvisited states. This can
continue until no unvisited states are reported.

Is there some way to automatically generate test input based on the yacc
grammar that exercise all productions?

Thanks for the help.

Farrukh Najmi.
[From najmi@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Farrukh Najmi)]