Re: Why can't we build a C compiler?

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli)
24 Jan 89 00:27:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? olender@rachmaninov.CS.ColoState.EDU (1988-12-28)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) (1988-12-29)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? unido!gmdzi!jc@uunet.uu.net (1989-01-05)
Why can't we build a C compiler? think!compass!worley@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (1988-12-19)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? jbs@fenchurch.mit.edu (1989-01-03)
Re: Why can't we build a C compiler? uokmax!glcowin@Central.Sun.COM (1989-01-18)
Re: Why can't we build a C compiler? limonce@pilot.njin.net (1989-01-24)
Re: Why can't we build a C compiler? waterloo.edu!cognos!rayt@RELAY.CS.NET (R.) (1989-01-25)
Re: Why can't we build a C compiler? kurt@tc.fluke.com (1989-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 89 00:27:19 GMT

In article <3210@ima.ima.isc.com> uokmax!glcowin@Central.Sun.COM (Greg Cowin) writes:

> The solution is not an easy one. Presently, we usually describe
> semantics informally and formal specification of semantics can be
> complex and arcane. Although I do not have a solution, it is
> an area that we should give more attention. I certainly plan
> to give it more attention. After all, it is interesting and
> a major part of the process that we enjoy.

One of the major break-throughs of Algol/Pascal/C-like languages is
that their syntax was completely specified in BNF (Backus-Naur Form?)
or a BNF-like syntax notation. This allowed definitive specifications
and since it was machine readable it was possible to make
code-generators for languages that could be specified in BNF (or
BNF-like) notation.

Specifying *semantics* can be done without English (or a natural
language). I can't remember the author but there's a book called
"The Denotational Description of Programming Languages" which is a
good beginners guide to the notation. Yes, it is a bit difficult to
learn and takes quite a talent to actually use you can describe all of
the C language (and the libraries!) in this notation. Don't ask ME to
do it but I'm sure someone could do it. Semantics are quite
difficult.

Anyway... the point that I wanted to bring up is that in the next
10 years *someone* is going to come up with a new style of semantic notation.
This will be an easier notation to use, to read, and it will truly be
a break-through if it is machine-readable and can be used to make
automatic code-generators.

Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for someone to invent it! :-)
--
  Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
                        Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389