Why Can't We Build a C Compiler?

acw!guthery@uunet.uu.net (Scott Guthery)
Sun, 18 Dec 88 16:55:38 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? acw!guthery@uunet.uu.net (1988-12-18)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1988-12-19)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? peterd@june.cs.washington.edu (1988-12-21)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1988-12-21)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (1988-12-20)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? seanf@sco.uucp (1988-12-23)
Re: Why Can't We Build a C Compiler? daveb@lethe.uucp (1988-12-26)

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 88 16:55:38 CDT
From: acw!guthery@uunet.uu.net (Scott Guthery)

"C is not a `very high level' language, nor a `big' one ...". Its syntax
and semantics are well-defined. A C compiler is probably a relatively small
and not a particularly complicated computer program. We have constructed
a number of very powerful of tools to help us build C compilers. We have
an extensive theoretical and practical compiler literature going back at
least 30 years. We have tens of thousands of man-years experience in trying
to build C compilers. And yet I claim there does not exist a compiler for
the C programming language. There are a lot of programs that are close but
close shouldn't count. Every program I know of which calls itself a C
compiler is at curent version level greater than 1.00 and will correct a
couple more bugs in the next release.

Why is this? What does it say about us and our craft? Is it even possible
to build a C compiler? If so, when do you think there will be one? How
will we recognize it if it does happen to come into being?

Finally, if after hundreds of attempts we can't build a little 10,000 line
utility for ourselves why in the world do we think we can build all the
programs we work on every day? We are certainly kidding the folks that
pay us and we're also doing a pretty good job of kidding ourselves.

Domain: acw!guthery@uunet.uu.net Snail: 11100 Leafwood Lane
Office: guthery%asc@sdr.slb.com FAX: +1 (512) 258-1342
FidoNet: 1:382/12 Voice: +1 (512) 258-0785
Packet: N5MDE @ KB5PM TELEX: 446370 (austincodewrks)
[This point is well taken. I would think that with all of the theory
available to compiler writers, compilers would be prime targets for software
engineering techniques such as formal verification, of parts at least. Beats
me why not. -John]