Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization"

steve@nuchat.uucp (Steve Nuchia)
6 May 88 01:51:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization" steve@nuchat.uucp (1988-05-06)
Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization" zs@mulga.oz.au (Zoltan Somogyi) (1988-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: steve@nuchat.uucp (Steve Nuchia)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 May 88 01:51:53 GMT

> An optimizing compiler can reduce the register saving/restoring (RSR) traffic
> during function calls by changing the allocation of variables to registers
> for leaf functions. ...

> This is a conventional optimization that is used in some compilers. I am
> looking for a reference to it. ...

An article in Dr. Dobbs Journal (unless I'm mistaken - memory grows foggy)
a couple of years ago gave a very complete description and analysis of
a recursive leaf-finder for C. It was motivated by a desire to generate
tolerable code for a machine (6502?) with essentially no registers - it
attempted to maximally pack stack variables into a fast-reference page
in memory.

No chance of finding it here without an index. Other possible publications
include Byte (not likely) and Computer Language (probably before they started).
Best guess for date would be to do a concentric search around '85 or '86.
--
Steve Nuchia, uunet!nuchat!steve, (713) 334 6720