Re: Simplistic Assemblers?

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva)
20 Dec 87 14:16:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Simplistic Assemblers? ames!oliveb!edge!doug (1987-12-15)
Re: Simplistic Assemblers? jiml@cs.wisc.edu (1987-12-16)
Re: Simplistic Assemblers? peter@sugar.UUCP (1987-12-20)
Re: Simplistic Assemblers? watmath!attila!arlie (1988-01-05)
Re: Simplistic Assemblers? peter@sugar.UUCP (1988-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 87 14:16:42 GMT

[ Refernced article compained about the simplicity of AS and how much more
    useful some high-zoot macro jobbadoo was ]

Have you ever heard of preprocessors?

I found the UNIX "as" assembler plus the "m4" preprocessor much more useful
than DEC's fully-featured Macro-11. For EXACTLY the same program on the same
processor: John-James FIG-Forth for the PDP-11. Some of the features of PDP-11
"as" are very nice indeed. Much more useful than combining two programs in one
piece (macro pre-processor and assembler).

Don't you prefer:

head(type,,docol,) / not entirely sure of the number
over; plus; swap / of commas in the macro here.
1: pdo; i; emit; ploop; 1b-.
semis

to:

TYPE:: HEAD <TYP,E>,,DOCOL ; Ditto.
.WORD OVER, PLUS, SWAP
XTYPAA: .WORD PDO, I, EMIT, PLOOP, XTYPAA-$
.WORD SEMIS

-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.