Re: error recovery in yacc

harvard!seismo!sun!academ!nuchat!steve (Steve Nuchia)
4 Sep 87 14:42:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
error recovery in yacc sbiswas@cse.iitk.ac.in (Shiladitya Biswas mt cse) (2003-01-12)
error recovery in yacc mcvax!tut.fi!jh@seismo.CSS.GOV (1987-08-17)
error recovery in yacc gupta%cs.unc.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (Gopal Gupta) (1987-08-18)
Re: error recovery in yacc harvard!seismo!sun!academ!nuchat!steve (1987-09-04)
Re: error recovery in yacc ...mcvax!ukc!warwick!julia (1987-09-04)
Error Recovery in Yacc vke@netgen.com (Vicki Tardif) (1995-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: harvard!seismo!sun!academ!nuchat!steve (Steve Nuchia)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Sep 87 14:42:31 GMT

In article <689@ima.ISC.COM>, gupta%cs.unc.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (Gopal Gupta) writes:
> About 1-2 years ago someone at UNC-Chapel Hill did a study
> of error recovery mechanism in YACC. The paper is titled
> "Error Recovery in LR Parsing: A Case Study Using YACC"

For those interrested in coaxing acceptable error handling out
of yacc without being able to hack the source or having to
digest academic papers (not that it would hurt you...) there
is hope.

_Introduction_to_Compiler_Construction_with_Unix_
Schreiner and Friedman, Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-474396-2

This is a usable tutorial introduction to getting results from
lex/yacc. I bought it to learn the tools, since they had resisted
attack using just the unix manuals. The book is organized around
the evolution of a C subset compiler (roughly small-C) which I have
since extended and retargeted and I'm using it to generate code
for my architecture simulation.

Anyway, they include simple yacc source construction rules for
error recovery and a simple modification to /usr/lib/yaccpar
that you can make at home. The result is truly usable error
handling, better than a lot of commercial compilers.
--
Steve Nuchia
{soma,academ}!uhnix1!nuchat!steve