Re: What makes a language popular?

Duncan C White <harvard!seismo!mcvax!doc.ic.ac.uk!dcw>
6 Aug 87 12:23:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: What makes a language popular? kurt@tc.fluke.COM (1987-07-30)
Re: What makes a language popular? harvard!rutgers!petsd!cjh (1987-08-03)
Re: What makes a language popular? harvard!seismo!mcvax!doc.ic.ac.uk!dcw (Duncan C White) (1987-08-06)
Re: What makes a language popular? msf@amelia.UUCP (1987-08-11)
Re: What makes a language popular? ames-pioneer.arpa!eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) (1987-08-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: 6 Aug 87 12:23:09 GMT
From: Duncan C White <harvard!seismo!mcvax!doc.ic.ac.uk!dcw>

In article <638@ima.ISC.COM> harvard!rutgers!petsd!cjh writes:
>In article <632@ima.ISC.COM> this comment appeared:
>>Pascal: The universally recognized standard reference is Jensen and Wirth.
>
>Since 1981, there has been an ANSI standard for Pascal ...
>
>There is also an ISO standard, which is similart to the ANSI standard
>but goes beyond it in one direction: "conformant arrays," which allow
>the programmer to write a subprogram what will take arrays of a given
>element type and varying size. This is a valuable feature, already
>present in FORTRAN and other languages.

Very true.. and this is a nice feature.. but may I ask a rhetorical
question ? [ well, actually, even that is a rhetorical question, 'cos
I'm going to... :-) ]

How many people, when asked a question about PASCAL's syntax, will
say "hang on while I get out my copy of the ISO standard"... and
how many will reach for their Jensen and Wirth ?

Similarly, with C, K&R is still the universal 'C bible', despite various
de-facto changes [addition of void?] and the proposed ANSI standard.
Many people suggest that Harbison & Steele should replace K&R now...
I haven't read it - I will as soon as I get around to it - but I somehow
doubt if it will ever fully replace K&R.

My point is that when a Standards Organization grabs a language by the
scruff of its neck, shakes it about a bit [usually improving it] and
then dignifies the new version with the title "standard", all the old
versions don't magically go away, and there will be considerable inertia
among [the many] users who possess older reference manuals.
--
JANET address : dcw@uk.ac.ic.doc| Snail Mail : Duncan White,