Re: Bliss

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve (D.E.) Stevenson)
27 Jul 87 13:30:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Bliss chuck@amdahl.amdahl.com (1987-07-25)
Re: Bliss steve@hubcap.clemson.eduStevenson) (1987-07-27)
BLISS apollo!alan (Alan Lehotsky) (1987-07-27)
Re: BLISS decvax!utzoo!henry (1987-08-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: steve@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve (D.E.) Stevenson)
Date: 27 Jul 87 13:30:04 GMT

in article <627@ima.ISC.COM>, chuck@amdahl.amdahl.com (Charles Simmons) says:
> ..... To summarize, a language becomes popular by being widely available.
> Wide availability implies that either the language is being pushed
> by IBM and/or the government, or the language is easy to implement,
> or the language is highly portable.

This seems to be backwards. Things become widely available because people use
them. While I agree that the government can try, it don't necessarily work:
c.f. Jovial. C is far from easy to implement on non-dec stuff, surely is not
pushed by IBM and isn't all that portable.
--
Steve Stevenson steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
(aka D. E. Stevenson), dsteven@clemson.csnet

[I have to disagree. C is quite straightfoward to implement on any byte-
addressable machine. We all know of implementations for 68000, 808x, IBM 370,
so on and so forth. I personally mutated the Sys V Vax compler into a usable
ROMP (IBM PC RT) compiler in a few months. And as far a portability goes, I
routinely take source code from the net that is intended for 32-bit Unix boxes
and make it run on my 16-bit PC with very little trouble. Try doing that with
most Pascal programs. -John]