Porting GCC to SysV

smv@necis.NEC.COM
Wed, 22 Apr 87 18:23:28 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Porting GCC to SysV smv@necis.NEC.COM (1987-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 18:23:28 EDT
From: smv@necis.NEC.COM

I am beginning to port GCC [the Gnu C Compiler] to our System V/68020
environment. I have just come accross the first of what I suspect will be
several problems. gcc.c includes <sys/wait.h> which is not present on SysV.
It also uses several of the macros which are in <sys/wait.h> on BSD
machines. I have BSD sources also, so I can get around it, but there
doesn't seem to be a clearly "right" place to start putting OS dependant
hacks. I would like to hear from others who are trying to port GCC to
System V, or to some other OS which is giving them problems.

I am not complaining that GCC is not portable, I recognize that RMS has released
it in an early stage, and I appreciate all the effort which has gone into it.

Steve Valentine, NEC Information Systems 289 Great Rd., Acton, MA 01720
smv@necis.nec.com