Peephole optimizations of jumps to jumps

eppstein@tom.columbia.edu (David Eppstein)
11 Mar 87 18:22:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Peephole optimizations of jumps to jumps eppstein@tom.columbia.edu (1987-03-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: eppstein@tom.columbia.edu (David Eppstein)
Date: 11 Mar 87 18:22:37 GMT

> [... It also seems that about half of the peephole transformations
> are quite machine independent, like removing ... jumps to jumps... -John]

This is something that confuses me about the compiler literature. Why
are jumps to jumps invariably removed in the peephole optimizer, when
it's so easy to generate code without them in the first place? You have
to parse a whole procedure at a time rather than generating on the fly,
but this is not a big deal...
--
David Eppstein, eppstein@cs.columbia.edu, Columbia U. Computer Science Dept.
[Other peephole transformations like tail merging and loop inversion often