GNU C compiler status (Re: V1N2)

compilers@ima.UUCP
7 Jan 86 03:41:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GNU C compiler status (Re: V1N2) compilers@ima.UUCP (1986-01-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: compilers@ima.UUCP
Newsgroups: mod.compilers
Date: 7 Jan 86 03:41:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #N:ima:136300026:000:1169
Nf-From: ima!compilers Jan 6 22:41:00 1986

[from ]

Home: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA 02143, USA +1 (617) 623-7739

Here is the latest status (written by rms) on the GNU C Compiler.

Further information from <gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu>.

Announcements about the compiler will occur on the ARPA mailing list:
* INFO-GNU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU
** List additions to: INFO-GNU-REQUEST@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU

4. C compiler

Although I have a portable C and Pascal compiler, it has a
serious drawback: it is a very large program, and intrinsically
cannot be made smaller. It is also very hard to bootstrap.

The problem is that most of the compiler is written in Pastel,
a super-hairy extended Pascal, and it is also the sole compiler
for that language. To make it smaller, we must eliminate the
hair needed to compile Pastel; then we will not be able to
compile Pastel, so it must all be rewritten into C.

Len Tower, the sole full-time GNU staff person, is working on this,
with one or two assistants. He can certainly use more, but they must
be in Cambridge or else be able to communicate on the Internet.