Re: flex and bison grouping

Archana Deshmukh <desharchana19@gmail.com>
Wed, 24 May 2023 23:20:22 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
flex and bison grouping desharchana19@gmail.com (Archana Deshmukh) (2023-05-18)
Re: flex and bison grouping desharchana19@gmail.com (Archana Deshmukh) (2023-05-24)
Re: flex and bison grouping gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2023-05-25)
Re: flex and bison grouping DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Archana Deshmukh <desharchana19@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 23:20:22 -0700

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 1:26:09 AM UTC+5:30, Archana Deshmukh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to parse following line using bison and flex.
>
> Any help / suggestions are most welcome.
>
> efg @main(%data: r[(1, 2, 4, 4), float32], %param_1: or[(2, 1, 5, 5),
> float32], %param_2: or[(20), float32], %param_3: or[(5, 2, 5, 5), float32],
> %param_4: or[(50), float32], %param_5: or[(50, 80), float32], %param_6:
> Tensor[(50), float32], %param_7: or[(10, 50), float32], %param_8: or[(20),
> float32]
>
> Best Regards,
> Archana Deshmukh
> [This looks very straightforward. The Flex tokens are keywords, numbers,
> and punctuation, the bison rules would be a %param or %data expression,
> a list of such expressions, and so on. Is there some particular problem
> you are encountering? -John
> Cheap plug: there's always my book https://amzn.to/3IrtPFS ]

Thanks John for response.
I am able to write flex tokens and bison parser and able to retrieve tokens and values. Now, I want to put these values to a list. I implemented with C linked list
with simple structure
struct node{
                char* name;
                int dimensions[4];
                char* type;
                struct node *next;
};
I am able to populate the list for "name" parameter. The type is also of type char*. How, I can differentiate between parameter "char* name" or "char* type" when I populate list.

The flex code has tokens and bison parser code understands these tokens correctly. Now, I need to put these values to list. I think I am missing something here. There is no context in bison code.

Best Regards,
Archana Deshmukh
[If it's not obvious from context what kind of nodes are in the list, add a tag field to the
node that tells you what kind of node it is. For nodes this small it doesn't really
matter, but we often use a union to use the same space for fields that appear in different
kinds of nodes. -John]