Re: Portable Software

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Sun, 02 Apr 2023 10:04:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
fledgling assembler programmer Alan.Beck@darkrealms.ca (2023-03-21)
Re: fledgling assembler programmer DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-03-25)
Re: fledgling assembler programmer gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2023-03-25)
Portable Software (was: fledgling assembler programmer) DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-03-28)
Re: Portable Software (was: fledgling assembler programmer) arnold@freefriends.org (2023-03-28)
Re: Portable Software DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-03-31)
Re: Portable Software anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2023-04-02)
Re: Portable Software DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-04-05)
Re: Portable Software anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2023-04-05)
Re: Portable Software 864-117-4973@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2023-04-06)
Re: Portable Software DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-04-07)
Re: Portable Software tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2023-04-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 10:04:31 GMT
Posted-Date: 02 Apr 2023 07:36:49 EDT

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@netscape.net> writes:
>Often I had
>the impression that the author wanted the program not for use on Windows
>machines. Kind of "source open for specific OS only" :-(

Whatever we want, it's also a question of what the OS vendor wants.

For a Unix, there were a few hoops we had to jump through to make
Gforth work: e.g., IRIX 6.5 had a bug in sigaltstack, so we put in a
workaround for that; HP/UX's make dealt with files with the same mtime
differently from other makes, so we put in a workaround for that.
Windows, even with Cygwin, puts up many more hoops to jump through;
Bernd Paysan actually jumped through them for Gforth, but a Windows
build is still quite a bit of work, so he does that only occasionally.

It's no surprise to me that other developers don't jump through these
hoops; maybe if someone payed them for it, but why should they do it
on their own time?

As a recent example of another OS, Apple has intentionally reduced the
functionality of mmap() on MacOS on Apple silicon compared to MacOS on
Intel. As a result, the development version of Gforth does not work
on MacOS on Apple Silicon (it works fine on Linux on Apple Silicon).
I spent a day last summer on the MacOS laptop of a friend (an
extremely unpleasant experience) trying to find the problem and fix
it, and I found the problem, but time ran out before I had a working
fix (it did not help that I had to spend a lot of time on working
around things that I missed in MacOS). Since then this problem has
not reached the top of my ToDo list; and when it does, I will go for
the minimal fix, with the result that Gforth on MacOS will run without
dynamic native-code generation, i.e., slower than on Linux.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl
anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at