Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use?

Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:25:40 -0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-12-01)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-12-02)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2022-12-03)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2022-12-03)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2022-12-03)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-12-03)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com (Keith Thompson) (2022-12-06)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-12-06)
Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its use? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2022-12-07)

From: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:25:40 -0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2022 12:13:42 EST

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu> schrieb:
> We had the "What attributes of a programming language simplify its implementation?" discussion.
>
> It seems, though, that languages are implemented a small number of
> times, and used many times. So, designing for ease of use, instead of
> ease of implementation makes more sense.

Very much so.

> (Especially if you want a lot of people to want to use it.)
>
> One feature that I find makes them easier to use, and harder to
> implement, is no reserved words.

I think this is more a matter of extensibility than of ease of use,
but both are somewhat intertwined.

Adding a new reserved word is a breaking change, especially if that
word is often used. See "new" in C++, which was something reasonable
to use in C, and is reserved in C++.

The life cycle of a programming language will have many revisions (if
it is successful, that is), and not having reserved keywords certainly
helps in two aspects: Existing user programs will continue to work,
and new features can be added in a way that is easier to read than
having to add special characters, so a new feature looks like a cat
walked over the keyboard, with capslock on.

Yes, this is a bit more pain for compiler writers, but far less than,
let's say, having to deal with SIMD.
[There's also the perl approach where you put a "use" at the top of the
program file saying which version of the language you want. -John]