Re: Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its implementation? RPN?

"minf...@arcor.de" <minforth@arcor.de>
Wed, 16 Nov 2022 05:39:00 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

From: "minf...@arcor.de" <minforth@arcor.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 05:39:00 -0800 (PST)

minf...@arcor.de schrieb am Mittwoch, 16. November 2022 um 14:16:47 UTC+1:
> So the capability in a (meta)language for compile-time execution comes into play.
> Forth is only one example. TCL would be my next candidate. I don't know Seed7
> but its author claims to be able to e.g. redefine and create new operators which
> means new semantics.
> [There was a vogue in the 1970s for extensible languages like EL1 at Harvard
> and IMP72 at Yale. You could add new grammar rules on the fly. What that
> meant was that no two programs were written in the same language and they were
> unreadable and often undebuggable. OOP, which lets you add new types and
> semantics without changing the syntax, turned out to be a lot more useful.
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_programming -John]

A more important aspect of 'usefulness' is the available ecosystem. Experimental
and toy compilers can be useful for individuals, perhaps (very) small teams. This
stops when you have to run a business responsibly, including documentation,
production, maintenance and what you have.

OTOH a good DSL built within and managed by the existing ecosystem can give you
a competitive edge.