Re: What attributes of a programming language simplify its implementation?

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Tue, 15 Nov 2022 06:09:52 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 06:09:52 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 2:31:08 AM UTC-8, minf...@arcor.de wrote:

(snip)

> > [...]
> > [Sounds like we're on our way to reinventing Forth. It had (still has)
> > famously tiny implementations. -John]

> Reinventing old wheels is not much fun. But use Forth as your toolbox
> to make your own DSL and you can go _very_ far without diving into
> all those dragon books and gigabyte compilers and toolsets.

Using lex/yacc or flex/bison, you can do it without going all that
deep into the books, or completely understanding them.

You can write C programs mostly without knowing how C compilers
work, and also for most other languages.

It then depends on how you define "simplify".

In the case of small embedded processors, where the size of
all the code is important, then you have to count code generated
by compilers and parser generators.

But most often, it is how much work it is for you.