Re: source languages, was Wrestling with phase 1 of a C compiler

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:03:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wrestling with phase 1 of a C compiler luser.droog@gmail.com (luser droog) (2022-09-07)
Wrestling with phase 1 of a C compiler christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2022-09-12)
Re: Wrestling with phase 1 of a C compiler gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-09-12)
Re: source languages, was Wrestling with phase 1 of a C compiler gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2022-09-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:03:22 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Sep 2022 16:26:33 EDT

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:01:21 -0700 (PDT), gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

> :
>PL/I does have a powerful preprocessor, though I don't know so many
>actually using its power. It even has preprocessor procedures, if you
>need them.
> :

Back in the day I would have reached for Lisp ... certainly for rapid
prototyping and/or experimentation with new compilation techniques.

The trouble with Lisp in the (distant) past was the high cost of a
workstation capable of running it acceptably. That no longer is an
issue, so Lisp can be an excellent choice for compiler development.

For various reasons I prefer Scheme over Lisp, so for a modern
"batteries-included" Scheme environment I would reach for Racket.

Certainly mileage varies, but unless you are hell bent on maximum
performance [how many people *really* derive benefit from being able
to compile 10K lines/second/core?], in my opinion almost any modern
HLL would be a better choice than C for writing a compiler.

George