Re: ALGOLW parser

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ALGOLW parser gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-07-26)
Re: ALGOLW parser gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-07-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

(I wrote)

> I am looking at the source for the OS/360 ALGOLW compiler,
> written by Wirth in about 1969.

> There is a file which seems to be for a parser generator

(snip)

> It looks like actual input to a program, and there is some output
> from the processor, but I don't know what program it is.

And our moderator replied:

> [Algol W was written in PL360, a very nice little assembler with
> Algol-like syntax. I'm pretty sure it used a hand-written parser and
> what you have is part of the documentation. I also believe I saw a
> thread somewhere saying the source code for both was lost, although
> PL360 was used for other stuff and there may be later versions of it.
> -John]

There is a scanned listing of at least some parts of ALGOLW, and yes
mostly PL360, and some assembler. And this file is from that listing.

It seems to be output of a program, so I believe not only documentation.

Looking more closely, though, it is related to the syntax of PL360,
and not of ALGOLW, even though it is in the middle of source listings
of the ALGOLW compiler.

The listings are here:

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/stanford/listing/Algol_W_Listing_Nov69.pdf

and it is on about page 101.

It seems that in addition to the listings, the source of the MTS
ALGOLW compiler from some years later is available. The low
level I/O routines and other OS specific parts will be different,
but the internal compiler routines should be close.
[Well, whaddaya know. The PL360 table generator that reads the BNF is
just before the BNF, starting on page 81. -John]