What programming languages are simply abstractions on top of another programming language?

Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:42:55 +0000

          From comp.compilers

From: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:42:55 +0000

Hi Folks,

I am reading "Software Tools" by Kernighan and Plauger. One of the things that
I've learned is that Ratfor is a simple abstraction on top of Fortran. For
example, Ratfor provides a while loop. The while loop can be mechanically
converted to Fortran if-then and goto statements. Really cool!

That got me to wondering, "What other programming languages are simply
abstractions on top of an existing programming language?"

/Roger
[The infamous m4 macrogenerator is used to build what are in effect new
languages like the sendmail configuration and GNU Autoconf. -John]