Are there "compiler generators"?

Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Sat, 28 May 2022 22:27:53 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Are there "compiler generators"? costello@mitre.org (Roger L Costello) (2022-05-28)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? robin51@dodo.com.au (Robin Vowels) (2022-05-29)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? 0xe2.0x9a.0x9b@gmail.com (Jan Ziak) (2022-05-28)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2022-05-29)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2022-05-29)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2022-05-29)
Re: Are there "compiler generators"? pronesto@gmail.com (Fernando) (2022-05-29)

From: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 22:27:53 +0000

Hi Folks,

There are lexer generators. Flex is a lexer generator.

There are parser generators. Bison is a parser generator.

Are there compiler generators?

Page 52 of the book "Crafting a Compiler with C" says this in the chapter
titled "Scanning--Theory and Practice":

Programming a scanner generator is an example of nonprocedural programming.
That is, unlike ordinary programming, which we call procedural, we do not tell
a scanner generator "how" do scan but simply "what" we want scanned. This is a
higher-level approach and in many ways a more natural one. Much recent
research in computer science is directed toward nonprocedural programming
styles. (Database query languages and Prolog, a "logic" programming language,
are nonprocedural.) Nonprocedural programming is most successful in limited
domains, such as scanning, where the range of implementation decisions that
must be automatically made is limited. Nonetheless, a long-standing (and as
yet unrealized) goal of computer scientists is to generate an entire compiler
from a specification of the properties of the source language and target
computer.

That was written in 1991. Is it still true in 2022--there are no compiler
generators?

/Roger
[There are certainly programs that will generate a combined lexer and parser
but there's a lot more to a compiler. -John]