Re: Flex is the most powerful lexical analysis language in the world. True or False?

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Fri, 6 May 2022 14:30:36 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 14:30:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 9:14:54 AM UTC-7, George Neuner wrote:

(snip)

> Not to mention that programming languages which tend to actually be
> used also tend to be [relatively] easily parsed using LL(k).

An important part of a programming language is that people can understand it.

I suspect it isn't hard to design a language that computers can easily
parse, but people can't. Your lexer only needs to be good enough for
actual programming languages.

As with BBQs, that doesn't stop people from trying.
[Take a look at Postscript, which is trivial to tokenize and parse since
it's a stream of tokens in RPN order, but making sense of it
by humans is a challenge. Or, of course, m4. -John]