Please provide a learning path for mastering lexical analysis languages

Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Fri, 6 May 2022 11:59:17 +0000

          From comp.compilers

From: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:59:17 +0000

Hi Folks,

I want to master lexical analysis.

In Chris Christopher's last post he said:

> [Flex] is not even as powerful as some other lexical analysis languages
> and even exploiting its power often requires things that cannot be
> expressed in Flex alone nor can they be done in ways that are simple
> and easy to reason about.

I am currently in the process of mastering Flex. I feel that mastering Flex
will give me a foundation for learning other more advanced lexical analysis
languages. "This XYZ lexical analysis language does it this way, Flex does it
this other way. Ah, yes, I can see how XYZ's way is simpler and more
powerful."

From Chris's post I see that there is much to learn beyond Flex. Thank you
Chris.

Can you provide a learning path, please? A learning path for mastering lexical
analysis languages.

After I master Flex, what lexical analysis language should I then master? And
after mastering that, what is the next lexical analysis language that I should
master?

/Roger